I'll Pray for the Geiser's!

Google Groups
Sign Up for the Prayer Newsletter
Email:
Sign Up

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Saturday Evening Post

Well, I can't say that we've been the best of parents today. It's been a day that the girls spent way too much time watching movies and playing by themselves. We just got them to bed and now we trying to settle down for the evening too. We did get them out a bit as Greta had dance practice and we went to the library, but overall, besides feeding them, the girls took care of themselves today.

I think the aftershocks are now hitting us a bit and that I was probably still on cloud nine the other day as I was posting about how easy it all has been so far. A night with a newborn and no nurses wake you up to the reality that the responsibility for yet another human soul weighs heavy on the tired body and mind. Anthony James slept fine for a newborn but we did have a few crying spells that kept us up for some precious sleep time. This afternoon, I got my first daddy/son nap with him to make up for the lost sleep and we both slept great.

I love my girls to pieces as they are nothing but sweetness...well, sweetness and noise! They do enjoy talking, squealing, spinning, dancing, jumping, singing, stomping, falling down and various other noise producing activities. They have taken to being big sisters and are often competing as to who gets to hold baby brother. Once the competition as to who will hold him first is done, then they are forced to remind everyone of who gets to hold him and in what order until the holding is complete. I think I've learned my lesson and will get the holding out of the way as soon as possible to avoid the necessity of establishing the order of the holding.

As I said, I love my girls...but thoughts of a boy fill up my mind. Thoughts about hunting (which I don't do, but will learn in order to teach him), fishing (which I do poorly, but will improve to teach him!), playing sports (which I love, but don't do as much as I used to), and general boy stuff fill my head as I picture Anthony growing in my mind. Thoughts of Abraham and Isaac - how hard the command to sacrifice the son of promise! Thoughts of David and Solomon - how would you like to have the wisest man in the history of mankind as a son! Thoughts of all the fathers and sons that you look at and know that nothing could tear the two apart. I want so bad to be the dad that molds a man to be proud of. I want so bad to help Anthony avoid the pitfalls that I have had to overcome.

He squeaks in the other room, sounding very much like a starving cat as his mother tries to feed him. He really only cries when dirtying his diapers and when he struggles while eating. Otherwise, he sleeps and occasionally looks around the room like he's checking the place out. Well, forgive my post if it makes no sense or isn't very interesting. I'm tired but still have these thoughts running through my head. Being a father is being a father, I know. But, I know that being a father to son will challenge and delight me in a whole new way. With daughters, you must attempt to be gentle and strong so that they can learn what it means to be ladies. With sons, it seems like I'll be able to be a little rougher and even more strong so that he will know what it means to be a man. Basically, I'll be able to act like a boy again with my boy and play the way only boys know how. I'm looking forward to it and yes, I realize he's only 3 days old...

No comments: